Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm slacking! But here's a song.

It's not exactly the case that I don't have a lot to write about. I've read a lot of interesting things in the past few weeks that I have a lot of thoughts on, but I do worry that at least one of those posts would be pretty heavy overall for the general tone of this blog. And then once I would start writing about some of the other stuff that's tangentially related, it would seem like a Pretty Heavy Week on Charming Wholesomeness. So I'll probably just send you off into the world with a link to the most important article, tell you it's feminism and sexual violence related, and you can decide for yourself if you care to read it. It's pretty well-written so honestly anything additional I'd write would probably be redundant. So, here's the pretty appalling story of Hannah, a sophomore at Howard University in Washington DC.

Outside of that, I've been gearing up for Coachella this weekend (STOKED!) and doing some heavy listening to choice artists that I know are going to be there and who I obviously want to see. One of said artists is Major Lazer, the collaboration between heavy-hitters Diplo and Switch. The inspiration behind the album?
Major Lazer is, according to the press release, “a Jamaican commando who lost his arm in the secret Zombie War of 1984”, and now, fitted with a lazer-shooter for an arm courtesy of the US military, is “a renegade soldier for a rogue government operating in secrecy underneath the watch of M5 and the CIA”. How does he achieve his stealthy objectives? By posing as the owner of a dancehall nightclub. (popmatters)

So obviously I was a huge fan right off the bat. Jamaican/reggae dance beats and... zombies? Sign me up!

The best-known song is probably the single "Pod de Floor," but I'm going to post two other bits off the album "Guns Don't Kill People... Lazers Do" (funny, right?) The first is what's definitely the most traditional reggae song that appears on the disc, but I just love its simplicity and the overall melody.



The second is actually just a short interlude between songs, but I'm posting it here because it's a quick sample of the obvious sense of humor that permeates the album. I crack up every time I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment